buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day sucks.

Anyone who really knows me knows that I absolutely hate Valentine's Day. I find it utterly annoying that people feel that they have to have a certain day to show their love for someone - shouldn't you do this every day?

I mean really - if you're in a relationship and you love someone, shouldn't you show that person every day? Shouldn't you tell him/her every day, even multiple times a day, that you love him/her? Do you really have to have the multi-bajillion dollar greeting card companies tell you when to be affectionate?

OK, so let's say that you actually "celebrate" this day. You do everything that you are supposed to do - the flowers, the card, the chocolate, the fancy dinner - and then on February 15, things go back to normal. But shouldn't the "normal" be special? Don't "normal" days warrant displays of love and affection? Or is it ok to NOT show love to your significant other just because it's not a (made-up) holiday?

So I might be a little bitter about it just because I'm not even in a relationship, so displays of affection for me consist of kisses from my kids and cards made out of construction paper (which I do love), and this day just rubs my singleness in my face. Do I want to be in a relationship right now? Mmmmmm....maybe, maybe not. The jury is still out on that one. I miss having someone around, but I'm also way too independent to have someone around all the time at this point. I do enjoy my singleness (to a point) but at the same time, I miss being part of a couple.

I just get really aggravated with people who go all out for one day each year. I feel like their significant others are getting shafted every other day. Maybe I'm old-fashioned...but I think that maybe if we treated our "special someone" better every other day of the year, a lot of people would be a lot happier. Just sayin'.

Oh, and for the record - I have felt the same way about this day for as long as I can remember - even when I was in a happy relationship. It's not just me being bitter and single. So there.

2 comments:

  1. I think I agree with you on all points Amy. I feel like it is just another commercial day.. I hate it as well. I think that people should show their love for their significant other all day every day. :/

    I hope you are doing better....

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.