buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Friday, April 8, 2011

Fingerprint Friday ~ R.I.P. She-Beast

This is my second posting as part of Fingerprint Friday, something started by my friend Beki at the Rusted Chain - make sure you check out her blog!

Many of you know the trials and tribulations that I have gone through with my very beloved and often hated She-Beast - my 1991 Chevy Astro. I think I have spent more time under the hood of that thing than I have behind the wheel. But, it was a purchase made out of complete desperation at a time in my life when things were truly starting to fall apart. I had to have something to replace the van that was being repossessed within days as I was going through the separation from my husband.


I paid $650 for the She-Beast, thanks in part to a donation from a friend's church. I had to do some work to keep her running, but she's lasted just about a year. The past few months have been very touch and go, and it's been a challenge to keep her running.

A few weeks ago, I went to a local dealership to talk to them about getting a used minivan. At the time they didn't have anything that would work, but the guy there said that he would keep his eye out. I never expected to hear from him again.

This morning while I was at a playdate with my two youngest, he called and said that he thought he had the perfect vehicle for me. So I went, I drove, and I bought. I had to scrimp and scrounge to come up with the money for the down payment, but I somehow managed to pull it off. Things will be tight for the next few weeks, but they've been tighter than this before and we've made it through.


I am now the proud owner of a 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette - I got a great deal on it and I really think that I'm going to like it. I do need to come up with a name for it though....

Those of you who know me well know what I've been through over the past few years. There have been times when I have wanted to just simply give up - but thanks to the love and support of those closest to me - not to mention a lot of soul searching and prayer, I didn't. I never thought that there would be a day when I could go to a dealership and just buy a vehicle - but I did it. And this time I did it without anyone's help. I can now say that I have a dependable vehicle that I can use to take care of my kids - and one that they won't be embarrassed to be seen in!

It's definitely been a good day.

4 comments:

  1. I think her name should be Bid....stands for blessing in disguise! When she gets older you can call her Biddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Freedom-mobile gets my vote. It is your first 'new' buy in your new life. When it gets old and weird you can nickname it Free :p .... (waits to see if she gets the joke).

    http://parenting-theblackhole.blogspot.com/2011/04/kids-these-days-theyre-animals.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!! Oh, I so totally got it!!!! I might have to veto that one just for the ew-factor. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! That's soooo awesome Aims!!! I knew good things would come to U in time . . . and sure enough, they have. And go U for never giving up, even when things got hard.

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.