buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Friday, April 22, 2011

I refuse to bubble-wrap my kids.

I came across this article the other day - I don't even remember where I saw it, but it really irritated me...Go read this and then come back here, will you?
Can Banning Red Rover Really Help Kids? New York State Weighs Summer-Camp Safety


I grew up in a time where parents didn't feel the need to put us kids into a protective bubble. We played outside in the dirt, climbed trees, made up full-contact games in our backyards, rode horses, and the like. We didn't drink out of a garden hose - we drank out of the stream running down the side of the mountain, for crying out loud! We spent road trips sprawled across the backseat of the car, wore no protective gear when we rode our bikes, and built 5-foot high ramps out of snow so that we could go airborne on our sleds in the winter.

Granted, some of today's safety measures are important, and I don't have a problem with them. Carseats are important. Wearing a helmet when riding a bike - yeah, I can agree with that one too.

But banning games like Red Rover? Come on, people! Get a grip! Really? When I started reading that article, I could feel my blood pressure rising - thankfully by the time I was done, I was a bit calmer when I realized that the impending ban on such games was dismissed. But still - who in their right minds in this day and age would think of banning outdoor games?

Face it folks, a lot of kids these days are lazy. They are more content to stay inside playing video games or surfing the 'net than they are to go outside and PLAY!! With childhood obesity on the rise, kids need to be encouraged to get outside and RUN! And JUMP! And PLAY!!! Get them off of their rear ends and get them moving! Save the video games and computer time for when it's raining out, or when they're home sick and need rest.

I will admit that I'm not the best at getting my kids outside. While we have no video games (other than a $20 deal that plugs into the TV with some of the *cough* "classic" games like Ms. Pac-Man and Pole Position on it) and I generally do not allow them to use the computer, my kids are addicted to DVDs. We don't have cable, so with only the major networks to choose from, they have become dependent on DVDs to keep themselves amused. They have gotten to the point that if one of them has to use the restroom mid-movie, they all agree to pause it until that one comes back - and these are all movies that they've seen dozens of times!

I know that part of the problem in our family is that it is so hard for me to get anything done - being a single parent means that I get to do all of the household chores, and if I'm outside playing with the kids, guess what? The chores aren't getting done. I already sleep less than I should but with the hecticness (is that a word?) that is our life, I have no choice. Most of the time, the only time that I can get things done (and not have them immediately undone) is when they're asleep. So I'm generally up until 2am doing laundry and dishes and straightening things up around the house. And it sucks.

But I have realized over the past week or so that my kids do watch entirely too much television - and they do NOT get outside enough. So, I have been making a conscious effort to get them outside more. And while they're out there, I work on cleaning up the outside of the house. Even today, feeling as crappy as I did, I took them to the store, got some Lunchables (a sick mother's best friend), went to the park, had a picnic, they played for a while, and then we went to an Easter egg hunt. Luckily my butt could be planted on a bench for 90% of that.

While we were at the park, I took a few pictures - this one has got to be one of my favorites....
Not only do I not bubble-wrap my kids to protect them from every tiny little thing that might go wrong, I take pictures of them doing stuff that makes other parents' skin crawl!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Follow Non-Stop Mom on facebook! Click here
And now on Twitter too! Click here

4 comments:

  1. I've had to get used to my daughter and her constant need to climb up high, jump from things, and be a general daredevil. lol

    I've noticed that teachers don't play dodge ball, nation ball, or red rover anymore. Makes me a little sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I remember correctly, dodgeball was banned from my school when I was a kid - but that was after numerous broken bones (we were ruthless).

    I have never been one of those "helicopter moms" - the ones who hover near their kids and never let them out of my sight. Maybe it's because I'm older and didn't grow up like that - but I let them do their own thing (within reason). We have friends who have a trampoline - I let them get nuts on it and we've only had one fractured thumb (so far). LOL

    They make me nervous at times, and I don't let them do anything that is obviously dangerous, but I try to let them be kids and not get all "OMG They're Going To Get Hurt!!!" on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel EXACTLY the same as you, Amy! I try to give the boys as much independence as possible. Many times that means I stand there watching their acrobatics, wincing at the near misses, but they are happy, active and don't have too many scars to show for my "neglect". :) My mom was FAR from a helicopter mom and she was a damn good mother...and I think I turned out better for it! Sad that our kids won't get to experience some of these games in school that we did...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy..doing a little "blog catching up"!
    I LOVE the picture of your daughter flying out of the swing..I have a similar one of my granddaughter doing the same thing and I LOVE it!
    Instead of making my skin crawl, it makes my heart sing!
    You are doing a great job parenting and your kids will be all the better for it.
    Mare

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.