buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Blast from the past

I was going through old pictures on the computer tonight, and I found these. Seems like it was a lifetime ago, when in reality it was only about 2 1/2 years.

Drifting off to my happy place....


First steps. Could have put a bullet in my head at this point and I would have been happy.


Best Thanksgiving dinner ever. I didn't have to cook it, clean up after it, and it was served to me in bed.


36 staples and an 8" incision. Ouch.


Busting out.


On November 25, 2008 I had a total hip replacement. I had been having issues with it for years, but could never really do anything about it (other than deal with it) because it seemed like I was always pregnant! So after I had Daniel and terminated my baby-making days, I finally did something about it. I went through arthroscopic surgery in February 2008 and that helped for a while - the meniscus was damaged and so the surgeon cleaned it up a bit and removed some arthritis. But after a few months, the pain came back with a vengeance. I tried cortisone injections *shudder*, physical therapy, medication, everything. After several more rounds of MRIs and x-rays my surgeon finally said the magic words: "All that's left to do now is to replace it."

I was thrilled. He tried telling me that I was too young to do it, but I pointed out to him that I was too young to be in constant pain, and I felt that it was time to do something drastic to fix it - even if it would have to be replaced again down the line, as is typical.

The first 24-48 hours after surgery were horrible. The pain was unreal. But they had me up and walking the next day - just out of my room, across the hallway, and back - but I did it. I spent 5 days in the hospital and came home to a hospital bed in my living room, at-home physical therapy, injections of blood thinner that I had to give myself, and all sorts of adaptive equipment.

Recovery was easier than I thought, after the first few days. I only used the walker for 3 or 4 days, and then it started to get in the way, so I switched to a cane. The kids thought that it was funny to steal my walker when I'd put it to the side when I was doing dishes, so I had to wean myself off of that quickly! I slept downstairs in the hospital bed for close to a month to avoid using the stairs any more than I had to, but all in all, it was ok.

To this day, I still believe that it was the best thing that I ever could have done. Yes, my left leg is now about 1/2" longer than my right leg, but I'm used to it. I have to have a lift built into my sneakers to keep my back from hurting, but I can now run around barefoot most of the day before it starts to bother me. I have no pain in my hip, which is such a blessing! I can run and keep up with the kids without telling them "no, I can't play that game because I hurt too much" which they love!

The incision healed beautifully. The scar isn't terribly noticeable to anyone other than me, which makes me happy. And if I hadn't gone ahead and had it done, I never would have been able to do the half marathon that I did last month.

There's another one in Wichita in October - I need to get my act together and get signed up for that one too and see if I can improve my time!

6 comments:

  1. I used to be an avid runner, then hurt my knee in a freak accident not involving running OR horses about 8 years ago! Every year I try to start running again and am crippled by knee pain pretty quickly. Have been doing short run/walks the last couple of weeks and all is well so far . . . so I just went and bought myself a new treadmill today. I hope I wasn't being overly optimistic when I paid for it, but I do love to run and hate having to do it around the weather, daylight, etc. I hope my knee decides to cooperate, maybe your hip will inspire it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, you can do it! I know you can! Just start out slow and easy....

    I miss walking/running - I haven't done it since the half-marathon, and I won't have much of a chance all summer because I don't really have anyone to watch the kids, but as soon as school is back in session, IT'S ON!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMY, LETS CHANGE YOUR NAME TO SUPER MOM.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Granny, that's not necessary! I'm just doing what any mom in my position would do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOw! you were very young, BUT sounds like it was the right decision for you...and your kids! And to be running a marathon??? amazing!
    Supermom just MIGHT be the right name for you...go with it!
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mare, I was 37 when I had it done. And I didn't RUN the whole half-marathon - I walked and jogged it, but I got it done, and I got it done in under my goal time, so I was happy!

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.