buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Happy Kitchen Day!

Continuing with my Pre-Vacation Cleaning Rampage...

Today I tackled the kitchen ... although it looked horrible to start with, it really wasn't all that bad. Once I got the dishwasher emptied and reloaded, it went pretty quickly. A lot of the crap on the table was trash, along with quite a bit on the counters. As much as I love to cook and bake, I seriously hate cleaning up after myself in there. It sucks.

The kitchen looks impressive size-wise, but it's not that great. There is not enough counter space and the cabinets are a nightmare. But, it works. The floor is actually ceramic tile, which I have decided that I hate and will never have in my own future house!

I do like the pantry cabinet thingee, but I just wish that the shelves were adjustable inside. No biggie on that one, and again, we make it work.

The fridge still smells like death, so it's going to be emptied, unplugged, and sprayed with disinfectant before we leave next week. I'm going to leave the doors open and just let it air out and hopefully get rid of the mysterious stench.




I still have to mop the floor, and I'm sure that I'll have to clean the kitchen at least a dozen more times before we leave, but at least the worst of it is done.

I'm seriously considering making cinnamon rolls for breakfast tomorrow - and if I do, I am going to clean up my mess afterwards! One thing about it, since I've gotten this much cleaned up, we've actually been keeping it cleaner in general. It's really been kind of nice.

The landlord did bring a couple of contractors over today to take a look at the bathroom, and starting at 7:30am tomorrow, the floor is going to be replaced! I am so excited about it - but not so excited about being kicked out of my house all day long. I figure we'll head to the lake in the morning for a few hours, shower when we get done swimming, and then maybe go to the library for a while.

Just to give you an idea of the nightmare that is my current bathroom floor, here are some shots of it....

Can you see how crooked the toilet actually is?


Kind of hard to see, but my foot is about 1" below where the level of the floor should be.


Another really soft squishy spot.


Isn't it purty?


Hopefully by this time tomorrow night, I'll have some gorgeous pictures of the bathroom to post!

7 comments:

  1. oh the pics of the bathroom are not helping my queasy stomach.. I was thinking of making blueberry muffins in the morning! We could share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - isn't it disgusting? I can't wait to see what it looks like when they're done with it. Hopefully they don't run into any major problems with it and can finish it quickly.

    Of course, I also just remembered that Daniel has an appointment right smack in the middle of the morning, so that kind of messes up my plans to stay away from the house. We may have to do the library first, then the appointment, and THEN the lake. Or something.

    Ugh. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a happy kitchen! Can't wait to see how your floor turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do find the motivation for all this cleaning you've been up to???

    ReplyDelete
  5. MamaMash - I can't wait either! I'm so tired of that nasty floor, and I've been waiting since September for it to be replaced. I am thrilled that the landlord is finally doing it!

    Christi - trust me, if we weren't going on vacation, I wouldn't be doing it! It's all my pre-vacation jitters getting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw! My bathroom is just awful too... when we moved in we were excited, because it looked like a new liner in and around the tub... turns out they were trying to cover up the decaying walls behind it. DISGUSTING. But, so expensive to fix. I had a Re-Bath guy come out this past weekend (because I thought I finally had saved enough).... I didn't want anything super special... $6,072.00....I laughed, and cried and the same time, told him to have a nice day, and kicked him out.
    My floors are just as bad too.

    Maybe one day I'll have a cool bathroom... I guess I'm going to have to learn some contracting skills to get it done myself.

    I am in AWE of your pre-vacation cleaning.
    I think I'm going to tackle most of mine this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kat, it's times like this that I am so thankful that I rent. Originally the floor was going to be replaced before we moved in, but the landlord kind of farted around and didn't do it. I have my theory as to why, but that's another story for another time. I'm just thankful that he's doing it now.

    Now, if the contractor would just get here. I don't get up this early for just anyone.

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.