buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

On a Mission - Pre-Vacation cleaning

OK, so I have this weird "thing" in that I like to thoroughly clean and organize the house before I leave for an extended period of time. Why? I don't know. But I do. So I've made a list of all of the areas that I want to organize so that I can do certain things on certain days when I have fewer kids, or whatever. I have just under 16 days to get this completely done, and I swear I *will* get it done, somehow!

My first target area(s), which will be tackled tonight, is the hallway closet and the furnace room.

The hallway closet is sort of a catch-all. I've been using the bottom part as an extension of my dresser and as a shoe closet for myself, since I don't have a closet at all. The top part is a mish-mosh of craft stuff, toys, and who-knows-what.

The furnace room is mostly craft stuff. I'd like to get that room totally cleaned out at some point.

Here's an idea of what they look like now....

(You might have to click on the pictures to make them bigger to see my commentary...)






So hopefully in a few hours, I will have them cleaned out and organized. And since it's trash night, I plan to be pretty ruthless and get rid of a lot of crap.

We'll see if I can stick to it or not.

9 comments:

  1. OMG I am the EXACT SAME WAY about wanting my house clean and perfect before I leave for any extended period of time. I just hate the thought of coming back to clutter and mess. Jason thinks it is bizarre the way I go into a cleaning frenzy anytime I am going to be leaving town for even a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Melissa, tell Jason that you are just as bizarre as I am! LOL I just want it to be clean. I don't want to come home to a mess. Plus, I'm hoping to have my landlord work on the bathroom while we're gone, so if he's coming in I want it to look really good. And I'll probably have a neighbor bring my mail in every day and just do a walk-through, so I want it to look really good.

    I'm a freak. I admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone wasnts a clean house to come home to after a long vacation. That first night you just crash and then the unpacking begins and things get to pile up again!
    Have fun cleaning!!! :)
    How many more days??

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Amy, I will join in the "freak show" LOL! Who the heck wants to come home to a dirty messy house? I bring things back like dirty clothes and the thought of that heaping on top of everything else is TOO MUCH!~maybe it's a 'girl thing'??? Anyway, glad I'm not the only one AND thanks for the looky into your closets...I am such a SNOOP!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melinda - 15 days, 5 hours, and 25 minutes, give or take a few. LOL We're leaving at about 3am on July 21. :)

    Mare - this place has been so unorganized since we moved in, so I'm really on a mission now! This is the perfect excuse! And just wait until you see my clean closets! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. purge. Purge. PURGE!

    Good for you! You will feel so much better when you get home, and you will not miss anything that you throw out.

    Proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ROFL Sid - I knew you would appreciate this out of anyone!

    I don't remember if I ever told you or not, but when we moved last September, we went from a 4 bedroom + office, 2 story, attic, and basement sized house to a 2 bedroom house with no attic and no basement. With 5 kids. You want to talk about purging? Holy crapola, the freecyclers in this town made out like bandits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do the same thing. I think it eases us back into reality after a vacation. If we were to come home to a messy, disorganized home, it's like a slap in the face welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those two areas are now done. I posted a follow-up already. LOL

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.