buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

An old-school kind of day...

I had every intention of going to church this morning, but by the time I got up, got breakfast made, and got the 3 older kids out the door with their father, I just didn't have the energy to do it. I will admit it - I'm still wiped out from the trip. Ugh.

So instead, we pretty much hung out around the house. We did go out for a bit to deliver a doll to a friend (that post may come tomorrow....or even later tonight) and on the way back we stopped for some frozen yogurt.



After we got home, I spent most of the afternoon in the kitchen. I made my first-ever batch of watermelon pickles - a staple from my childhood that is very difficult to find around here....


....and then I made up a whole bunch of bread crumbs. Yes, I make my own. All that leftover bread that just sits around and gets stale - you know, the "ends" of the loaves that the kids won't eat, leftover hamburger buns, stale biscuits, whatever - they all get thrown into a bag in the freezer until I get around to them. Then I cut them up, toss 'em in the oven on about 200 degrees for a few hours to dry them out, and then toss 'em in the blender. Voila - bread crumbs.



Then I started sewing. I'm participating in a quilt block swap where the participants each make 16 blocks of a certain pattern. When they're all done, we mail them to my friend who is coordinating the swap, she sorts them all out, and then mails 16 of them back to each of us. We still need some more participants, so if you're interested, let me know and I'll get you all of the information.



I still have just a few more things to finish up around the house tonight, and then I think I might just call it quits early. It's just me and the 2 boys tomorrow, so maybe we'll head out to the lake for a little bit to just unplug and unwind - it's kind of nice in a way that my phone doesn't work at all out there, and it's one of the key reasons that I enjoy going there.

I do still have some more post-vacation stuff to do. I really need to get the suitcases off of my front porch and into the garage (along with the coolers) and go through the eleventy bajillion pictures that we took to get them all sorted out, but those'll get done eventually. I'm betting that the suitcase/cooler mission will get done first though. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.