buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Friday, August 19, 2011

"Ruin is the road to transformation."

First of all, I can't take credit for the title. If you've ever seen the movie "Eat Pray Love" you might recognize it. I love the movie, and if you haven't seen it, you should - especially if you've ever gone through the healing process from broken relationships.

Anyway, as I was driving the kids to school this morning, I saw a few wheat fields that had already been burned off by the farmers.




The farmers do this after the wheat is harvested, and although I don't understand all of the ins and outs of it, I know that it helps to nourish the soil for the next planting.

While the fields are burning, the smoke that comes off of them is incredible. It is impossible to drive through it, as it is thick and dark and smells awful. I've driven next to a field as it was burning (only because the wind was blowing the opposite way) and even though I was more than 100 feet from the flames, the heat was incredible.

What is left - is nothing. The flames are extinguished when they reach the edge of the fields, and that's it.

But the next crop that is planted there flourishes. The charred and blackened field turns green once again, and the field's original beauty returns.

This scenario has been bouncing around in my head all day. For the past few days, I've been noticing that on the side of my page on facebook, these posts have been showing up - I don't remember what they're called, but they're sort of a "This Day In History" type thing, and I realized that at this time last year, we were preparing to move. We hadn't officially gotten this house yet, and things were up in the air. We were bordering on homelessness. We were broke. We were desperate.

I felt as though my life was in ruins.

But we found this place. It's not the best, but it works. We've made it our home. I am in such a better place emotionally now. There have definitely been ups and downs, but for the most part, life is good. We have reliable transportation. The bills are getting paid. We were able to go on vacation. We have plans to get a better place to live in a couple of years, if all goes well. The kids are all going to school and they are all healthy.

We have been through a major transformation over the past year. For the first time in a long time, I am looking forward to the future.

It's definitely a good feeling. And I think I might have to watch that movie again tonight.

4 comments:

  1. It's cheaper than tilling it in.
    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDE!!! I totally had a post scheduled to come out next week with the SAME TITLE!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha!!!!! I'm watching it now - I *love* this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yes, you have come a very long way. Eventually, you have to/will look back and just say...WOW!
    But always keep moving forward.
    A very wise person once said that to me. I lived it, and so are you.
    Much love from the VA crew.
    B

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.