buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sand plum picking: Round 1

The Dude, Daniel, and I went on our first plum picking mission of the season today. Although I've scoped out the areas where we are planning to pick, I still wasn't too sure about what we would find. The heat has been brutal this summer, but we did have a fairly wet spring, so I was trying to be optimistic.

The first area that we got to was a new area for me. It's on the same piece of property where I picked last year, but in a different spot - but it still had the seemingly obligatory old car in the middle of it! From the aerial maps and from talking to the property owner, I knew that there was a pond behind the patch - so once we figured out that there weren't a whole lot of plums to be picked, we went exploring to try to locate the pond.


We did eventually find the pond. Or, we found what's left of the pond. Did I mention that this summer has been brutally hot?




We just explored that area for a while, then drove back out to the front part of the property where I had seen more ripe fruit the other day. We were not disappointed, and The Dude got his first real taste of sandplum picking! I had tried to warn him about it - in spite of the 102 degree heat, we were both wearing jeans and long sleeves, along with boots, in order to protect ourselves from the branches, but it was still difficult. The thickets have grown in considerably denser since last summer but we found so much fruit! There is still so much that is not ripe yet though - we spent about 2-3 hours out there and got one bucket full, which ended up being about 23 pounds!




For now, all of the fruit is in shallow pans on my kitchen table, where it will sit for a few days until it all ripens up just a bit more, and then I'll start the actual jelly-making process. If I remember to do it, I'll take pictures as I go, and actually post the directions as well just in case anyone who has access to sand plums wants to try to make some jelly!

8 comments:

  1. I will attest...NSM's Sand Plum Jam is the bomb!
    Can't wait to see pictures of Kerry on his first canning adventure. ;)
    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's right, I did give you some of that jelly, didn't I? I seem to remember getting the vote of approval from the wife on that one.

      He says he's going to help me can - we'll see how well he can take the heat in the kitchen! ;)

      Delete
  2. In the kitchen, I got more game than coleco vision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WONDER WHAT KEEPS THEM FROM BEING WORMY OR EATEN BY THE ANIMALS OR THE BIRDS. I CAN SEE THOSE JARS OF JAM OR JELLY. HAVE FIND AND ENJOY.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The animals don't really get to them because the thickets are so....well, thick. And thorny. The birds do get them a little bit, but not much.

      Delete
  4. KERRY, HAVE YOU OR YOUR MOM CHEATED WITH YOUR SMOKES. I HAVE FAITH IN YOU. JUST PUT ALL THAT MONEY IN A JAR FOR YOUR TRIP NEXT YEAR. YOU'LL BE SURPRISE HOW MUCH MONEY YOU'LL SAVE. SO PROUD OF YOU AMY.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have significantly cut down - but they haven't quit yet. Baby steps.

      Delete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.