buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

So, uh, yeah....about last night....

Wow. That's the first word that comes to mind at this point.

When I sat down to write my post about judgmental people and food stamps last night, I had NO IDEA what was going to happen. None. I figured it would get a decent amount of hits, probably a few more comments than usual, and that would be it.

Almost from the moment I hit "publish" - it went crazy. For real.

Just to give you guys an idea of what I'm talking about....on any given day, my blog usually gets about 150 views. Some days, if I don't post anything, it's as low as 30-40 views. On a good day, it's around 200. Until today, my most popular post ever had a total of 1191 views - and it's been posted since July.

This morning, about 14 hours after I posted that post, it moved into the top position, and surpassed an entry that's been up for 4 months. As of right now, it has over 6200 views and is still climbing. There are well over 50 comments from people (that I still have to go back and respond to - give me time!) and the comments are still coming as well.

Those numbers aren't huge to "big bloggers" but to me - and my little tiny baby blog - it's totally overwhelming. My phone - which controls my internet access - has been lit up all. day. long.

I want everyone to know that I have read every single comment - on the blog, on my facebook page, in my inbox, on my personal profile, on twitter - I've read them all. I just simply haven't had time to respond to everyone yet.

But I would like to clear up a few things really quick while I'm thinking about it...and I'm going to include some links that tell more of the "backstory" for the new people here....

I am NOT currently receiving food stamps. Financially, yes, I am eligible to do so. Honestly, I would love to get them at this point - however, because of some *ahem* hiccups in the system and the refusal of certain individuals to send me paperwork that I requested from them several times, my kids and I can not receive that type of assistance any longer.

I do not currently work. My second ex-husband passed away shortly after our divorce. Because of this, my youngest son and I receive Social Security. We get enough to live on and to put some aside every month. We don't live in the lap of luxury, and some months are really really tight - but we make it work. I think after everything that my kids and I have been through in the past few years, they deserve to have me 100% of the time. I will get a job when the time is right. Until then, I do a lot of crafty type stuff to make a little bit of extra money here and there.

For the most part, my life is an open book on this blog. There are a few taboo subjects -

  • We do not talk about exactly where we live. We're in Kansas, and that's all that you need to know. If you recognize our location from the pictures, please don't say anything publicly about it. Had I known when I started that there were going to be so many people reading this, I never would have used pictures of my kids. So don't reveal our location.
  • For the love of chocolate, do not use our last names! Do not use anyone's last names! That one should be a no-brainer.
  • Don't use the name of the kids' schools if you happen to know them. Again, duh.
  • I don't do politics. I leave that up to The Dude. If you don't know who he is, you'll figure it out sooner or later.
  • Pretty much everything else that you might want to know is found in the "About Me" tab at the top of this page. Or just ask me. I don't bite.....hard.


Now that we got all of that out of the way...........

The rest of the day was spent doing the usual. Tons of laundry, lots of cleaning, bathroom scrubbing (*gag*), and general running around trying to get ready for the impending holiday. Yep, it was a total purple bandana kind of a day. I finally got my grocery list ready so that I can go to the store tomorrow morning (hopefully before it gets swamped) and get the last few things that we need for dinner on Thursday and then I get to clean some more, start some of the cooking and baking, and wait for the older 3 kids to come home so that we can *gasp* celebrate Sarah's 13th birthday.

Yikes. It's after midnight. I'm officially the mother of a teenager.

OK, I'm going to go cry now.



6 comments:

  1. You deserved every one of those views. That was a great post. I am enjoying nosing around and getting to know you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww! Wish her a HAPPY BIRTHDAY from the crazy fish/bologna lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't comment on your post as I'm not sure exactly what food stamps are, so I feel that's it not my place to add my 2 cents, but what I can tell you is that, from the blog and facebook posts I've been reading, you are one of the most honest/open people I've ever met/read about.

    One thing that rings my bells are people judging in any case, why judge others if you don't know their story? And even if you do know, its not up to you to judge them, it gets my panties in a knot when I see how people judge others.

    Happy Birthday to your special girl! Hope she has a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy your blog.Often I read it at a time just when I need a little encouragement. if you can be everything to those kids then, just maybe, I can be the same for mine. Thanks for your honesty and for sharing glimpses of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how your blog has grown since I wandered over from Ross' how long ago?? And I sure can't believe ur little girl is now a teenager !! Time flies! Happy birthday (to her AND to you mom)
    Congrats on the great response to your food stamp post-it was super! Happy Tday to u and yours.
    Hugs from Nebraska
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  6. HB MISS TEENAGER. HAVE FUN TODAY. ENJOY YOUR TEEN YEARS LITTLE LADY AND JUST HAVE GOOD CLEAN FUN. ALWAY GO TO YOUR MOM FOR ANSWERS. IT'S THE BEST GIFT I CAN GIVE YOU. HUGS, GRANNY

    ReplyDelete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.